楼主: 杨辉
打印 上一主题 下一主题

英语背诵文选

[复制链接]
36#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-10-5 17:07:00 | 只看该作者

回复: 英语背诵文选

36. What Money Is For? (2)

Of course money is not something to hoard. It value is in its use. A million gold dollars would have been worth no more than a million stones to Robinson Crusoe on his island home. There was nothing to buy, and therefore, no use for money. And so money that is simply hoarded is of no value. It does not purchase the necessaries of life, nor relieve those who are in want. That is not what money is for.
The Bible says that “the love of money id the root of all evil”. That is, money sought for its own sake is the cause of all sorts of evil –lying, stealing, cheating, robbery, and even murder. This is the best reason for avoiding the love of money.
回复

使用道具 举报

37#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-10-5 17:08:00 | 只看该作者

37. Education—a Means to an End (1)

Education is not an end, but a means to an end. In other words, we do not educate children only for the purpose of educating them; our purpose is to fit them for life. As soon as we realize this fact, we will understand that it is very important to choose a good way education which will really prepare children for life.
In many modern countries it has for some time been fashionable to think that, by free education for all—whether rich or poor, clever or stupid, one can solve all the problems of society and build a perfect nation. But we can already see that free education for all is not enough: we find in such countries a far larger number of people with university degrees than there are jobs for them to fill. Because of their degree, they refused to do what they think “low” work; and in fact, work with hands is thought to be dirty and shameful in such countries.
回复

使用道具 举报

38#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-10-5 17:08:00 | 只看该作者

38. Education—a Means to an End (2)

But we have to understand that the work of a completely uneducated farmer is more important than that of a professor in a way: we can live without education, but we die if we have no food. If no one cleaned our streets and took the rubbish away from our houses, we should get terrible diseases in our towns. In countries where there are no servants because nobody is willing to so such work, the professors have to waste of their time doing housework.
In fact, when we say that all of us must be educated to fit us for life, it means that we must be educated in such a way that, firstly, each of us can do whatever job is suited to his brain and ability, and secondly, that we can realize that all jobs are necessary to society, and that it is very bad to be unwilling to do one’s work, or to laugh at someone else’s. Only such a type of education can be called valuable to society.
回复

使用道具 举报

39#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-10-5 17:09:00 | 只看该作者

39. Blood, Toil, Sweat and Tears (1)

In this crisis I think I may be pardoned if I do not address the House at any length today, and I hope that any of my friends and colleagues or former colleagues who are affected by the political reconstruction will make all allowances for any lack of ceremony with which it has been necessary to act.
I say to the House as I said to Ministers who have joined this government, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many months of struggle and suffering.
You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war by land, sea and air. War with all our might and with all the strength God has given up, and to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.
回复

使用道具 举报

40#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-10-5 17:09:00 | 只看该作者

40. Blood, Toil, Sweat and Tears (2)

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs—victory in spite of all terrors—victory, however long and hand the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.
Let that be realizes. No survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge, the impulse of the ages, that mankind shall move forward toward his goal.
I take up my task in buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men.
I feel entitled at this juncture, at this time, to claim the aid of all and to say, “Come then, let us go forward together with our united strength.”
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

绿色圃中小学教育网 最新主题

GMT+8, 2024-9-27 18:59

绿色免费PPT课件试卷教案作文资源 中小学教育网 X3.2

© 2013-2016 小学语文数学教学网

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表